Thursday, November 6, 2008

What a Difference Four Years Makes

Four years ago, on November 2, I was furiously checking exit polls in the Journ room, waiting to get out of school. I rushed to the Roscommon County Democratic Party headquarters, ready to help finish the night with a landslide for Kerry. I stayed up until midnight, hoping to hear the news. I was even going to play "Morning Has Broken" once it was called for Kerry.

I woke up the next morning to hear he carried Michigan, but conceded. I was morose, and skipped school. I went to Family Video to rent Dawn of the Dead, and then went to Lee's Kitchen and ate lunch by myself.

Two days ago, on November 4, I was furiously checking exit polls at work at USC. At 3pm, the first polls closed and I got some raw numbers. By 6:30, when I left for class, I knew Obama would win. I called Mum and played "Morning Has Broken," four years later. Class went from 7 to 9:30, and in that brief time McCain conceded, Obama declared victory, and Virginia went blue. After class, we broke open some Sam Adams and Asti (in class), and welcomed the victory.

The next morning, I woke up with a cold, but drove up to Van Nuys, and walked on the set of The Office, and listened to Lee Eisenberg. After, I had breakfast with my whole class at Norm's, where our prof gave us advice on breaking in to writing.

What a difference four years makes. Where I might be four years from now on election night is unfathomable and frightening.

No comments: