Tuesday, May 27, 2008

That's Enough, John Williams

Johnny,

You've been a role model, an inspiration, since I was 10. I've even got a signed picture of you chilling in a frame at home. 

But it's time to retire the scoring sheets. You haven't made a truly memorable soundtrack since 1999. Yes, I'm giving you the benefit of counting Episode I. Truthfully, though, your last best work was on Saving Private Ryan.

I can't list all the reasons, but here are a few:

1) Your Harry Potter theme sounds quite similar to your Hook theme. Listen closer.
1a) The Quidditch chase scene has PRACTICALLY the same score as the smelting factory in Episode II. Don't believe me? Watch them again.
2) AI, Minority Report, Catch Me if You Can, The Terminal, War of the Worlds... all forgettable.
3) Yeah, Munich was good, but for the first time, I thought to myself "Wow, that sounds like Bear McCreary." You've reminded me of another composer now, and not the other way around. No bueno.
4) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which should have had themes and motifs as rousing as the other THREE, did not. What happened? Not even one?

I don't want to see you keep deflating like this. Don't turn into my grandma who eventually lost her mind. Quit while you're ahead.

No comments: